Act CXII of 2011
On Informational Self-determination and Freedom of Information1
In order to ensure the right to informational self-determination and freedom of information, and to
facilitate the implementation of the Fundamental Law, the National Assembly hereby adopts the
following Act on the fundamental rules applicable in connection with the protection of personal data
and the enforcement of the right to access and disseminate data of public interest and data public on
grounds of public interest, as well as on the authority competent to control these rules pursuant to
Article VI of the Fundamental Law:
1. Object of the Act
The object of this Act is to define the fundamental rules applied in connection with controlling data
with the aim of ensuring that the controllers respect the private sphere of natural persons and
ensuring public transparency through the enforcement of rights to access and disseminate data of
public interest and data public on grounds of public interest.
2. Scope of Effect of the Act
(1) The scope of the present Act encompasses all data control and data processing activities
undertaken in Hungary relating to the data of natural persons, as well as data of public interest and
data public on grounds of public interest.
(2) The present Act shall apply to both data control and data processing fully or partially undertaken
by automated devices, as well as manually.
(3) Provisions set out in the present Act shall apply if the controller controlling personal data
outside the territory of the European Union contracts a data processor with a seat, site, branch or
address or place of residence within the territory of Hungary to perform data processing, except if
this device serves data traffic exclusively within the territory of the European Union. Such
controllers are obliged to designate a representative in Hungary.
(4) Provisions set out in the present Act are not applicable to natural persons controlling data
exclusively for their own personal purposes.
(5) Concerning further use of public sector information, other rules can be laid down by law for the
mode and conditions of data provision the consideration to be paid for it, as well as in respect of
legal redress, to the rules defined within the scope of the present Act.
For the purposes of the present Act:
1. Data subject: any natural person identified or directly or indirectly identifiable on the basis of
2. Personal data: data relating to the data subject, in particular the name and identification number
of the data subject, as well as one or more factors specific to his physical, physiological, mental,
economic, cultural or social identity as well as conclusions drawn from the data in regard to the data