Amendment of Telecommunications Law
(2017/ Pyi Htaung Su Hluttaw Law No.26)
(29 August 2017)
This law is enacted by Pyi Htaung Su Hluttaw.
1) The Law shall be called the Telecommunication Law Amending Law.
2) The name of the Ministry in the section 3(t) shall be changed from “Ministry of telecommunication
and information technology” to “Ministry of Transport and Communication”.
3) Article 66 shall be replaced with the following:
“66. Whoever commits any of the following acts 66(a), (b) and (c) shall, on conviction, be liable to
imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or to a fine or to both, and whoever commits
act of 66(d) shall, on conviction, be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or to
a fine not more than one million or to both.”
4) Article 66(d) shall be replaced with the following:
“(d). extorting, defaming, disturbing or threatening to any person by using any telecommunications
5) Article 80 shall be replaced with the following:
“80 (a) The offences under this law shall be deemed as cognizable offences.
80 (b) In prosecution under this law, prior permission of the ministry shall be obtained.
80 (c) If not by the victim him/herself or the authorized person by the victim, the case against the
defaming to any person by using any telecommunications network shall not be filed at any court.”
This law is signed by me (President Htin Kyaw) according to the constitution.
President of State
The Republic of Union of Myanmar