Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Access to Information Law
This law has been enacted following article 50 (3) of the Constitution of Afghanistan.
The objectives of this law are:
1. Protect the right of all natural and legal persons to access information from institutions.
2. Ensure transparency, strengthen the culture of provision of information, promote people’s
participation in good governance, ensure accountability in the conduct of institutions, and
3. Observe article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in consideration of article 3
of the Constitution of Afghanistan.
4. Regulate the process of requesting and providing information.
The terms used in this law describe the following concepts:
1. Information: Any type of documents and recorded or registered information including
written, audio, visual, sample or model.
2. Personal Information: Information about a person including his/her name, surname,
residential and workplace addresses, condition of personal and family life, health records,
letters, correspondences, transactions, bank account, passwords and all other information
that are not related to his/her official duties.
3. Applicant: Is a legal or natural person who requests information from institutions.
4. Publication: Information dissemination in a manner that is accessible to and usable by the
5. Information request form is a printed or electronic sheet that is provided to the applicant,
in accordance with this law, in order to provide details of his/her request for information.
6. Institutions include Offices of the President, National Assembly, the Judiciary, ministries,
independent directorates, independent state commissions, local administrations, provincial
councils, district councils, village councils, municipalities, municipal councils, state-owned