Attorney general v. Ali AnouzlaCase Law
- Case Status
- Case Outcome (Procedural)
- Case Outcome (Disposition)
- Press and Media
- Court Name
- Court of First Instance of Rabat
- Judicial Body
- First Instance Court
- Decision Date
- May 24, 2016
- Case Number
On 24 December 2015, Ali Anouzla was summoned for interrogation by the police for some comments he made in an interview with the German newspaper Bild concerning Western Sahara. The human rights defender spoke about limitations on freedom of expression in Morocco, including repression of independent journalists, as well as corruption and human rights violations including torture. The charges are based on the fact that he reportedly used the term “occupied Western Sahara”. He denies using this term, maintaining that he was mistranslated. The first hearing in his trial occurred on 9 February 2016.
While Front Line Defenders welcomes the acquittal of Ali Anouzla over charges of “undermining national territorial integrity”, charges of support for, incitement of and advocating terrorism remain outstanding against him. If convicted on these charges, the defender could face up to 15 years imprisonment.
On May 24, 2016, the Court of First Instance of Rabat dropped the charges brought against him.
This case is a reminder of the distance between Morocco’s laws and practices and the rights guaranteed in its new constitution.
- Source name
- Freedom house
- Source URL
- Related Caselaw
- Date Updated
- Sep 1, 2019
- Title (Z-A)Title (A-Z)
- Date added (Recently)Date added (Least recently)
- Status of Law (A-Z)Status of Law (Z-A)
- Adoption Date (Recently)Adoption Date (Least recently)
- Type of Law (A-Z)Type of Law (Z-A)
- Research Category (A-Z)Research Category (Z-A)
- Is this the Official Copy? (A-Z)Is this the Official Copy? (Z-A)
- Date of Most Recent Amendment (Recently)Date of Most Recent Amendment (Least recently)
- Decision Date (Recently)Decision Date (Least recently)
- Language (A-Z)Language (Z-A)
- Official/Unofficial Translation (A-Z)Official/Unofficial Translation (Z-A)