Attorney general and Mahdia lawyer, Foued Sheikh Zaouali v. Ghazi Ben Mohamed Beji and Jabeur Ben Abdallah MejriCase Law
- Case Status
- Freedom of Expression
- Insulting Religious Figures
- Online Forum
- Penal Code
- Court Name
- First Degree Mahdia Court
- Judicial Body
- First Instance Court
- Case Number
"Ghazi Ben Mohamed Beji, published an excerpt in July 2011 entitled, ""The Illusion of Islam,"" taken from an essay he wrote on www.scribd.com, a free “social publishing” website, his intention is to show “the ugly face of Islam”.
And Jaber Ben Abdallah Majri published on his Facebook pictures of the Prophet of Islam, pictures that were taken from Ghazi Ben Mohamed Beji's book ""The Illusion of Islam"".
Ghazi got, along with Jaber Ben Abdallah Majri, seven-year prison, plus 1,200 Tunisian dinars ($US 790) fine after a Mahdia lawyer, Foued Sheikh Zaouali, filed a complaint against the ""harm to the Prophet by photos and writings and harm to the sacred values of Islam causing fitna (division) between Muslims."" Initially he complained against Majri, who took pictures from Ghazi Ben Mohamed Beji's book.
Ghazi got sentenced by absentia while he run away to Europe, unlike Majri who went directly to prison after being heard by the judge. "
This decision impacts directly this person freedom of speech, and right to share his intellectual work online. Furthermore, the article 121(3) of the penal code is a pretext to supress any critic against religion or public moral.
- Related Caselaw
- Related Law
- Title (Z-A)Title (A-Z)
- Date added (Recently)Date added (Least recently)
- Status of Law (A-Z)Status of Law (Z-A)
- Adoption Date (Recently)Adoption Date (Least recently)
- Type of Law (A-Z)Type of Law (Z-A)
- Research Category (A-Z)Research Category (Z-A)
- Is this the Official Copy? (A-Z)Is this the Official Copy? (Z-A)
- Date of Most Recent Amendment (Recently)Date of Most Recent Amendment (Least recently)
- Decision Date (Recently)Decision Date (Least recently)
- Language (A-Z)Language (Z-A)
- Official/Unofficial Translation (A-Z)Official/Unofficial Translation (Z-A)